This position is:
As Needed Basis
Lake Charles, LA
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for providing professional nursing care for patients following established standards and practices. Assists physicians in coordinating patient care. Functions as primary liaison between patients, staff and physicians.
Reports to Director of Nursing
This position does not supervise any employees.
- Wheels patients under IV conscious sedation to procedure rooms, monitors vital signs, and prepares patients for exam by physician.
- Assists physician with exam and special procedures.
- Makes, receives and handles medically related phone calls as directed by physicians (RX’s, hospital admissions, patients, and other physicians).
- Keeps exam rooms and doctors’ offices clean, and maintain necessary supplies.
- Assists physician in preparing charge tickets, document fees, procedure codes, diagnosis codes and other items as necessary.
- Counsels and reassures apprehensive patients, assisting them with all clinic routines.
- Performs a variety of medically related tasks as directed by the physician and particularly to his specialization.
- Assists receptionist in scheduling appointments as needed.
- Make sure that all exam and special procedure rooms have biohazard and non-biohazard containers.
- Assures that all sharps are disposed of in a Sharp Container.
- Educates patients in self-administration of medication, when appropriate.
- Schedules CT scans, MRI test, thyroid test, EEGs and mammograms.
- Follows Clinic policies for infection control in handling and disposing of infectious/hazardous waste materials.
- Ensures that patient chart entries are made accurately and in a timely manner; forwards charts as appropriate.
- Notifies patients of test results; schedules follow-up appointments as appropriate.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Responds to a “CODE BLUE.”
- Screens pharmaceutical representatives.
- Performs other task as assigned.
- May require assisting physician with weekend rounds at area hospitals.
- May require starting IV’s, doing IV pushes.
- May require mixing medications such as cytotoxic drugs.
- May require drawing blood and administer drug screens.
- Observes records and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians. Dispenses medication as directed. Educates patient/family about diagnosis procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness.
- Ensures appointment preferences are given to patients in emergency situations. Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriation information. Instructs patient in collection of samples and tests.
- May require pulling and filing charts.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Registered Nurse license in Louisiana
Previous medical office experience preferred but not required.
- Communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multi-tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer service skills
Ambulatory Surgery setting. Frequent telephone calls during working hours. Frequent interruptions, which requires being able to hand a fast-paced work environment during entire time at work. Must be able to prioritize multiple projects. Must maintain strict confidentiality and exercise professionalism when interacting with staff, managers, supervisors, physicians, external customers, etc.
Must be able to bend, stretch and walk. Prolonged sitting and/or standing may be required. Lifting of 50 – 100 pounds may be required.
RN license and IV certification required. This position requires the ability to work as needed from 6:30 am to 3:30 pm weekdays.