This position is:
As Needed Basis
Imperial Calcasieu Surgical Center, Lake Charles, LA
Using the nursing process, the licensed nurse will assess, coordinate and deliver care to meet the identified needs of patients whose protective reflexes or self-care abilities may be compromised due to the event of surgery or influence of medications given for their operative or other invasive procedure. The nurse will provide teaching for the patient throughout the continuum of care. He or she will provide support and back up for personnel by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Communicates appropriately with peers, management and physicians, patients and patient’s family members.
- Encouraged to participate in at least one of the center’s committees.
- Adheres to surgical principals and practices as described in the center’s policy and procedures.
- Participates in the center’s staff meetings and inservices offered.
- Maintains CEU as required by State and center’s policies.
- Demonstrates competency in admitting, recovering patients from regional, local, IV conscious sedation, monitored anesthesia care and general anesthesia for pediatric, adolescent, adult and elderly patients.
- Demonstrates competency in pre-admission, pre-op, PACU, and discharge process.
- Pre-op and Post educator.
- Demonstrates competency in preparing and administrating medication.
- Demonstrates competency in teaching patients and family member or significant others
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Maintains a current nursing license in Louisiana. Maintains continuing education hours as required for licensure. One year experience preferred in nursing for all departments. One year experience preferred in PACU or ICU for PACU Department. CPR Certified. ACLS and PALS Certification required for PACU/discharge areas within 6 months of employment, and encouraged for other departments.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as physician orders, laboratory results, safety rules, operating and technical instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, License, Registrations: Current nursing license from the State of Louisiana and current CPR certification. ACLS and PALS certification required for PACU/Discharge areas within 6 months of employment, and encouraged for other departments.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or control; reach with hands and arms, and talk to hear. The employee is occasionally required to bend, lift, stoop, and kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Must have good visual acuity.