This position is:
Imperial Calcasieu Surgical Center, Lake Charles, LA
The circulating nurse is responsible for activities of the operating room outside the sterile field and for coordinating and managing nursing care of the surgical patient in the room. The circulating nurse maintains a safe and comfortable environment for the patient, and assists members of the surgical team. He or she monitors the room and sterile field for potential breaks in sterile technique or potential environment hazards. The circulating nurse represents the patient by acting as an advocate during the surgical procedure. He or she provides support and back up for personnel by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates appropriately with peers, management and physicians, patients, and patient’s family members.
- Participation encouraged in at least one of the center’s committees.
- Adheres to surgical principals and practices as described in the center’s policy and procedures.
- Participates in the center’s staff meetings and in services offered.
- Maintains CEU as required by State and center’s policies.
- Demonstrates competence in sterile technique, patient safety practices, equipment usage, and infection control processes.
- Interacts appropriately and effectively with all patients/others regardless of age or ethnic background.
- Uses Standard Universal Precautions, appropriate hand washing, personal protective equipment, and safe practices to ensure personal safety and a safe environment of care.
- Assists with environmental hazard and infection control surveillance and participates in emergency preparedness drills.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Maintains a current nursing license in Louisiana. Maintains continuing education hours required for licensure. One year surgical experience preferred. CPR Certified. ACLS & PALS certification encouraged.